Saturday, April 16, 2016

Interview: Strangely Funny Contributor, Sylvia Son

http://www.amazon.com/Strangely-Funny-III-D-J-Tyrer-ebook/dp/B01DPQ4AAGSylvia Son is an author who lives in Mississauga. She has a degree in English from York University. Her novella, The Guest of Honour, made the shortlist in the 2014 Ken Klonsky Novella Contest for Quattro Books. She likes horror movies, improv, and board games, but not at the same time - although she has played Ultimate Werewolf, which she views as sort of the same thing. She's also a contributor to the latest anthology I've edited, Strangely Funny III.

What would you like people to know about you?
I like comedy and nonsequiturs; like growing up, I watched Kids in the Hall on TV and when I was two, I was hit by a car. Both of them are true.

When did you begin writing?
Since grade ten of high school. I wrote comedy skits for my high school productions with my sister.

How did you get the idea for "Patience My Unspeakable Nightmare", your story in Strangely Funny III?
I had finished a series of stories based on cats, and I was in that mentality of pet-based stories. Then one day I was watching a really horror film with my sister and we made fun of it and I came up with a phrase to match the cheezey dialogue which eventually became the title of this story. Then I began to think, what kind of person would say it to and would that be a pet that was called a nightmare and would that be a pleasant or unpleasant experience. And that was it.

Is there a genre you haven't written in, but would like to?

YA fantasy.

Who are your current favorite authors? What do you enjoy about them?
Neil Gaiman for his ability to create a complex story universe, and manga artist/writer Fumi Yoshinaga for her story and characters.

What are you working on next?
Other than finishing up my novel on ghost towns that inhabited by sci-fi and fantastical events, I'm working on two stories that work the same trope of a haunted house. One where a house is constructed with the hibernating remains of a monster from another dimension by monster worshipers who brought it here prematurely, and a city hall employer whose job is to make sure it remains asleep while trying to keep the public out. The other is a young woman is looking for her dead parents' spirits that now reside in a house that functions as a sanctuary for the dead, and the only way to communicate is by tapping Morse Code on the walls.

What is your favorite writing snack food/drink?
Popcorn chips. They're too addictive.

Thank you for your time!

If you'd like to read "Patience My Unspeakable Nightmare" and other amusing stories, check out Strangely Funny III, now available on Amazon.

----

No comments:

ShareThis