Monday, March 07, 2022

Author Interview: ME Roche

 

ME Roche is the product of a Midwest upbringing. She’s lived and worked on both coasts as well as in Ireland. As a registered nurse, she’s had the opportunity to work in many facets of nursing, and although now retired, she continues to volunteer and enjoy working at a neighborhood clinic.

What made you decide to start writing your own stories?

I’ve always loved to read—especially mysteries—and when I finally decided to try my hand at writing something myself, my first thought was to try updating those stories from the 1950’s and 60’s about student nurses who tackled mysteries. As an RN, I knew there were many changes in patient care from that time, as well as changes in our education; my first three YA novels were an attempt to address these issues.

How long on average does it take you to write a book?

With the first to the final drafts (at least eight) of my novels, it has taken at least a year to complete each one. I do, however, often set drafts aside to work on something new. For example: I’ve published two novels within the last six months, but each was just waiting for a polish. I plan another release this summer; it was also written and revised several times over the past three years.

How did publishing your first book change your process of writing?

My first two books were professionally published. By the time I had written my third book, my publisher and I had parted ways, so the whole process of preparing everything myself was almost entirely new and very time consuming. I’m still learning!

Your new novel, Bigamy, was loosely inspired by a case from the 1930s. Without getting into spoilers, could you tell us more about it?

My most recent novel, Bigamy, was loosely based on an actual case from the 1930’s. The case was brought to my attention by friends who believed it would make a good story and was actually part of their family history. It took me a while to decide if I could make it work and it was an education. We forget the amount of access to information that we have today, is very unlike what people had at that time, and what that difference meant to how situations were addressed. While I did take liberties with certain aspects of the story for dramatic effect, I did adhere to many of the details.

Who is your favorite author, and what do you enjoy most about their work?

I have way too many “favorite” authors. I love mysteries, but what I have been trying to do is discover new authors both for my own enjoyment and that of those who read the monthly newsletter on my website (www.meroche.com). My two favorite authors of this past year: Robert Dugoni (The World Played Chess) and Hank Phillippi Ryan (Trust Me).

Thank you so much for visiting!

1 comment:

M. E. Roche said...

Thanks for this opportunity, Sarah! Looks great! Peg

ShareThis